Studio Friction's Rope Bondage Series:
This course is the right place to start.
It is perfect if you are brand new to rope, interested, & excited to jump in!
- When: Tuesdays 7:00pm-9:00pm. Jan 10th, 17th, 24th, 31st
- Studio friction membership is required to attend curriculum courses to enable us to maintain our 501(c)7 non-profit status. If you're not a member but interested in attending you can purchase a one-month membership for $10. Learn more by clicking here.
- Course price is per tying pair. You must provide your own partner.
- You must provide your own rope (2 to 4 lengths of ~30 feet) although rope will be available to purchase from the studio during your first class.
This series is meant to give you the basics to step into using rope bondage at home safely, as well as be able to learn other floor-based topics in outside classes. Please note that both a partner and rope are required. Rope can be purchased at the studio, as needed.
By the end of the Beginner 1 series, students will be able to:
- Identify the benefits and drawbacks to various types of rope
- Perform at least three different types of rope safety checks in appropriate situations
- Confidently negotiate with new and existing partners
- Seek and respect consent for sexual and non-sexual play activities
- Tie a Somerville Bowline single column tie that will not collapse
- Tie a reverse tension chest harness with appropriate tension
- Tie a double-column that won’t collapse
- Tie a bunny ears armbinder
- Gain an initial understanding of shoulder mobility
- Tie a spiral futomomo
- Understand the purpose and function of frictions
- Gain an initial understanding of a 2-rope TK
2 to 4 - 30' lengths of rope
Thomas (he/him, fet: untiedbythomas)
Thomas joined Studio Friction and the Denver Kink community in April of 2022 and has been obsessed ever since. A rope top and self suspender, Thomas has a deep love for all things Shibari, whether that be taking every class possible, learning a new harness for suspensions, or compulsively shopping for new rope. He believes no scene is finished until the last bit of rope is removed, putting extra emphasis on connection, body movement, and intimacy. Recently stepping into the world of teaching, he is so excited to give back to the community that has taught him so much and share all of the education he has absorbed along the way.
Within the kink world, Thomas' interests include: grappling/wrestling, D/S dynamics, CNC play, and is willing to try anything at least 4 times. Outside of kink, Thomas can be found playing guitar, reading, training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, playing board games, walking his 2 dogs, and writing code. Thomas identifies as a cis, poly, het, white male and is constantly curious about human experiences different than his own.
Marilyn (she/her, fet: _Marilyn_)
Marilyn first entered the Denver rope community in 2019. After finishing the partnered curriculum in March 2020 (literally the Wednesday before Denver shut down!), Marilyn began self-tying as a way to maintain her rope skills. She quickly fell in love with the playful, energetic, and dynamic nature of it! She is happy to be back in Denver and to be exploring all that rope has to offer again, whether that's tying others, tying herself, or letting others tie her sometimes too.
Marilyn identifies as a queer, polyamorous, kinky switch. She's passionate about relationship anarchy, arguing the semantics of language, and the value of building connections. She's excited to be engaging with the Denver rope community in a new, bigger way through teaching and curriculum development.
- It is your responsibility to attend each class session. Course curriculum is typically sequential. Course instructors are not responsible for offering make-up classes or catching students up on missed material. (Note that some instructors will offer private lessons for missed classes.)
- Be on time for class. Instructors are not responsible for waiting for late attendees.
- Registration & payment required in advance.
- Bring a photo ID that matches the name listed in your online registration for admittance.
- No refunds or credits on cancellations within 24 hours of the first class (contact firstname.lastname@example.org with extenuating circumstances.)
- No refunds or credits for missed class sessions.
- You must be at least 19 years old to attend events at Studio Friction.
*** NEW*** Studio Friction Curriculum Grants
To minimize the inequities and financial barriers to rope bondage education, and to increase engagement and participation of a diversity of participants, Studio Friction is able to offer one Tuition Grant per 3-course succession of Beginner 1, Beginner 2 and Intermediate 1. This is a 3 course, 3 month series with the goal to educate students from their very first single column knot to their first suspension.
A Wrapped membership - providing discounted access to other Studio Friction events - is included for all grantees. This is a limited opportunity of 6 to 10 grants per year based on Studio Friction curriculum program scheduling availability.
If you would like to apply for a Studio Friction Curriculum Tuition Grant, please read through the Studio Friction Curriculum Course Grant - Qualifications and Application Process. From that page you will find the link to apply.
Applications for this session due by January 5, 2023