Start Here: Foundations of Rope Bondage
with Switchtext and Avid
Cost: $60/pair for BOUND or TIED members - $80/pair for WRAPPED members
Note: Yes, a membership is required for you to take this class. It's still a great value. You must also register and pay online, no admittance or registration at the door. Finally you do need a partner and a rope, although rope can be purchased at the door.
If you live too far from the studio to come to curriculum classes, or are otherwise unable to come to a weekly class? This is the intensive for you. Lots of great content in one day! Drive in, make a day of it and drive home.
About the class:
In this intensive Switchtext and Avid will orient you to the Studio Friction space and get you started on your rope journey. With 6 hours of tying and getting all of your burning questions answered, this a great place to jump start your rope bondage experience.
The morning session will cover the areas of consent, negotiation and safety, vetting potential partners and studio/venue etiquette. We will discuss the setting of a scene, and will cover the many different types of rope you can use in rope bondage.
For the afternoon portion, we will spend the day learning beginner rope patterns and foundational techniques that you can take home and enjoy immediately. We will challenge you from both the perspective of tying or being tied, teaching ties such as single and double column, bunny ears, reverse tension chest harness, basic futomomo and the first rope of a 3 rope TK.
For this class, no experience is necessary.
10am - 1pm Class including discussion and tying
1pm - 2pm Lunch
2pm - 5pm Practical tying instruction
Not a one.
You will need 3-5 lengths of rope, yoga mats or similar, and a blanket may be nice. There will be some treated jute rope available for purchase at the class.
About our instructors:
ties others, ties themself, and gets tied by others. They've been learning rope since 2015 and have been involved in the public community since 2018. A passionate educator by trade, Avid is excited to facilitate experiences and education for folx who are newer to the wide world of rope.
Switchtext is a designer and a co-founder and creative director of Studio Friction. He is more interested in sensations and understanding the elements of rope bondage than mastering someone’s specific pattern. Switchtext has been tying for 16 years. He has learned so much in that time and enjoys knowing he has so much more to learn.
Important Registration Information:
- All attendees must register and pay online, no admittance or registration at the door.
- Photo ID is required to be admitted and must match the name listed in your online registration.
- No refunds or credits on cancellations within 24 hours of event (contact us for extenuating circumstances).
- All attendees must sign a COVID waiver as part of online registration and submit to a symptom check including a no touch temperature check.
- Mask optional with proof of full COVID vaccination (e.g. CDC COVID Vaccination Card - original card, clear photograph or photocopy, CIIS immunization record, myVaccine in the myColorado app). The name on your vaccine documentation must match the name on your photo ID.
- Full vaccination is defined as a minimum of two weeks post 2nd dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccines, or single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
- You only have to show your vaccination record once. Feel free to email it to email@example.com ahead of the event if you prefer. We will not be making any copies, just marking that it was checked.
- Members who are not fully vaccinated, are unvaccinated, or do not wish to show proof of vaccination are still welcome at Studio Friction, but will be asked to wear a mask at all times when in the space.
- Hand and surface sanitizer will be available throughout the studio.