Studio Friction's Rope Bondage Series:
with Avid and Dami
This course is the right place to start.
It is perfect if you are brand new to rope, interested, & excited to jump in!
You must provide your own rope
- When: Tuesdays 8-10pm. Feb 21-Mar 21 (please note Mar 7 is skipped due to another event)
- Studio friction membership is required to attend curriculum courses to enable us to maintain our 501(c)7 non-profit status. If you're not a member but interested in attending you can purchase a one-month membership for $10. Learn more by clicking here.
- Course price is per tying pair. You must provide your own partner. Costs: Bound members = $100, Tied members = $125, Wrapped members = $150.
(2 to 4 lengths of ~ 30 feet) We will have treated Jute (8m long 6mm diam) for sale at the studio for $25 each
A few other places to look are:
Toronto Kinbaku Salon - https://torontokinbakusalon.com/collections/rope
Anatomie Rope Shop - https://shibaristore.com/
My Nawashi (untreated) https://www.etsy.com/shop/MyNawashi
Rope - Hemp:
Twisted Monk https://www.twistedmonk.com/Class Description:
This series is meant to give you the basics to step into using rope bondage at home safely, as well as be able to learn other floor-based topics in outside classes. Please note that both a partner and rope are required. Rope can be purchased at the studio, as needed.
By the end of the Beginner 1 series, students will be able to:
- Identify the benefits and drawbacks to various types of rope
- Perform at least three different types of rope safety checks in appropriate situations
- Confidently negotiate with new and existing partners
- Seek and respect consent for sexual and non-sexual play activities
- Tie a Somerville Bowline single column tie that will not collapse
- Tie a reverse tension chest harness with appropriate tension
- Tie a double-column that won’t collapse
- Tie a bunny ears armbinder
- Gain an initial understanding of shoulder mobility
- Tie a spiral futomomo
- Understand the purpose and function of frictions
- Gain an initial understanding of a 2-rope TK
2 to 4 - 30' lengths of rope
Avid ties others, ties themself, and gets ties by others. They've been learning rope since 2015 and have been involved in the public community since 2018. A passionate educator by trade, Avid is excited to facilitate experiences and education for folx who are newer to the wide world or rope.
My name is Dami or D_lil_Seahorse on Fetlife. I use she/her pronouns. I am a Queer, Greysexual, Polyamorous, Switch. I have been an active member of the kink community for over six years, starting off in the Cheyenne, Wyoming area and then more active in the Denver metro. I have been practicing rope for over five years in both partnered and self suspension. I volunteer at Studio Friction and Voodoo Leatherworks as well as host the Thornton Munch.
- It is your responsibility to attend each class session. Course curriculum is typically sequential. Course instructors are not responsible for offering make-up classes or catching students up on missed material. (Note that some instructors will offer private lessons for missed classes.)
- Be on time for class. Instructors are not responsible for waiting for late attendees.
- Registration & payment required in advance.
- Bring a photo ID that matches the name listed in your online registration for admittance.
- No refunds or credits on cancellations within 24 hours of the first class (contact email@example.com with extenuating circumstances.)
- No refunds or credits for missed class sessions.
- You must be at least 19 years old to attend events at Studio Friction.
*** NEW*** Studio Friction Curriculum Grants
To minimize the inequities and financial barriers to rope bondage education, and to increase engagement and participation of a diversity of participants, Studio Friction is able to offer one Tuition Grant per 3-course succession of Beginner 1, Beginner 2 and Intermediate 1. This is a 3 course, 3 month series with the goal to educate students from their very first single column knot to their first suspension.
A Wrapped membership - providing discounted access to other Studio Friction events - is included for all grantees. This is a limited opportunity of 6 to 10 grants per year based on Studio Friction curriculum program scheduling availability.
If you would like to apply for a Studio Friction Curriculum Tuition Grant, please read through the Studio Friction Curriculum Course Grant - Qualifications and Application Process. From that page you will find the link to apply.
Applications for this session due by February 14, 2023